Culled from Radio Nigeria

 

The recent wave of surrendering by Boko Haram fighters and their families have dominated discussions among individual and groups not only in Borno state but the entire country.

 

The available figure shows that about three thousand insurgents have so far surrendered to the military with an additional nine hundred in the neighbouring Cameroon republic, according to the report.

 

On Monday, the Borno state government convened a one-day extraordinary stakeholders engagement to critically examine the recent mass surrender of Boko Haram insurgents with a view to managing the situation.

 

The meeting presided over by Governor Babagana Zulum has in attendance members of the national and state assemblies, military and other security agencies, traditional, religious as well as civil society organisations.

 

 

 

 

Addressing stakeholders at the multipurpose hall of the Government House in Maiduguri, Governor Babagana Zulum said the government and people of Borno are faced with the dilemma of choosing between unending conflict and accepting dreaded combatants of Boko Haram insurgents.

 

“Accepting the Boko Haram will seriously affect the feelings of victims with the potential of civil rebellion just as there will risk if Boko Haram fighters willing to surrender are rejected, the can join ISWSP to swell the ranks of the fighters in the bush and the path of peace become narrowed, Zulum lamented.”

 

According to the Governor, the last twelve years have been challenging to the state, hence the need to find a sustainable solution to end the crisis.

 

Professor Zulum said although he has conferred with the President and some of the Service Chiefs on the matter, it is important to get contributions from people of the state who are direct victims.

 

First to make their submissions are members of the national assembly from the state represented by Senator Mohammed Ndume and Honourable Mohammed Monguno who welcome the development, however, cautioned that it should be carefully handled.

 

The Theatre Commander Operation Hadin Kai Major General Christopher Musa and state Director Department of State Service Alhaji Mamman Murtala expressed commitment to the peace initiative and called for expansion of the de-radicalisation programme.

 

Shehu of Borno Alhaji Abubakar Garbai Elkanemi, the Chief Imam Laisu Ibrahim Ahmed and Secretary Borno elders forum, Dr Bulama Mali Gubio called for the engagement of traditional and religious leaders in the rehabilitation process.

 

At the end of all the submissions, Governor Babagana Zulum promised to critically review the recommendations at the state security council meeting with a view to developing a framework that will address the situation.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here