11.2 C
New York

Gas blast kills infant, two others in Ogun

Published:

By Abba Gwale

Tragedy struck on Wednesday in Abeokuta, capital of Ogun State as three persons, including an infant, were killed following a gas explosion.

The incident reportedly occurred happened at about 3pm at Oke-Egunya area along NTA Road, Abeokuta, in Abeokuta South Local Government Area of the state.

The explosion reportedly occurred as a technician was working on the gas cylinder of a refrigerator while an open fire used in cooking burned nearby.

Engineer Fatai Adefala, Director of Fire Service, Ogun State, confirmed the incident.

Adefala, however, said that the service personnel mobilizeed to the escene on receiving the distress call that there was a fire outbreak in the area.

He said that on arrival at the scene, the firefighters discovered that a gas explosion had sparked off a fire, which left the victims seriously burnt.

The victims eventually died due to the severity of their burns as they were caught up in the explosion, the state fire service director revealed.

Eyewitness accounts, nonetheless, said that the incident occurred when an unidentified technician “was topping up the gas of a faulty refrigerator” at a house in the area.

“In the process of topping up gas in the refrigerator, there was an attraction of fire from someone cooking with firewood and there came an explosion”, the eyewitness was quoted as saying.

Related articles

Recent articles

spot_img