• Shehu Sani expresses worries over incessant ambushes
– By Ismail Auwal
The number of soldiers and allied militia killed in the convoy of Governor Babagana Zulum rose to eight, after they were ambushed by Boko Haram on Saturday.
Six people, including five soldiers and a member of the allied militia group supporting the military, popularly known as civilian JTF, lost their lives in the fresh attack.
All the sources who leaked the story chose to remain anonymous, because they were not authorised to speak about the incident.
The sources said, Zulum was in Baga to distribute food to residents who recently returned to the Baga fishing town about two months ago. Their return to Baga came six years after they fled a deadly jihadist raid.
AFP reported that, Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP) fighters armed with machine guns and rocket-propelled grenades opened fire on the convoy of soldiers and an anti-jihadist militia in Kwayamti village, 60 kilometers (36 miles) north of the regional capital Maiduguri.
The convoy was on its way to the town of Baga on the shores of Lake Chad, some 140 kilometers away, as a security detail for the state governor, Babagana Umara Zulum, who flew to Baga by helicopter earlier in the day.
Reacting to the incessant attacks on Zulum’s convoy in a tweet, Senator Shehu Sani, has expressed his worries and called on the governor to stop risking his life and that of his aides. The former Senator also condoled the families of the security personnel who lost their lives.
Sani said, “the fresh attacks on the convoy of Borno Governor Zulum is tragic & unfortunate. My condolences to the families of the security personnel who lost their lives.The patriotism & zeal of the Professor is appreciated, but caution is needed to protect the lives of the aides.”
In September, at least 30 security personnel were killed when ISWAP attacked Zulum’s convoy near Baga, but the governor escaped unhurt.
Since assuming office, the governor has been a regular target of attacks by the insurgents.